Skip to main content

Eifert hopeful after initial test


*                      Tyler Eifert left the Pro Bowl in a walking boot.*

HONOLULU - The initial examination of Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert's foot didn't reveal a break Sunday night after the Pro Bowl. But he left Aloha Stadium in a boot and plans to  undergo further tests in Cincinnati to make sure he's got only a bone bruise.

It's believed he'll see Bengals foot specialist James Amis when he gets back in town early this week.

"I don't really know what happened. I jammed my heel. I'll be good," said Eifert in the Team Irvin locker room after a 49-27 win over Team Rice that was a bit hollow for the seven Bengals involved.

"I'm praying for Tyler," said running back Cedric Peerman, the only Bengal on Team Rice.

Eifert went down the seam early in the fourth quarter and almost had a 35-yard TD catch from quarterback Jameis Winston, but he couldn't hold on to the ball as he went to the ground in the back of the end zone.

Eifert got up gimpy and went to the bench, where the Packers training staff wrapped it in an ace bandage and put ice on it. With two minutes left in the game he was helped to the locker room as he limped to the X-Ray machine.

On the play before, Eifert made his first Pro Bowl catch, an 11-yarder over the middle.

It was a pretty glum scene in  the last few minutes of the game with his good friend, left tackle Andrew Whitworth, coming over to the bench and sitting with him periodically. Also checking in was Irvin guard Zack Martin of the Cowboys. Eifert's brother-in-law come this June. The entire week had been a celebration of Eifert's massive 13-TD season in the wake of losing all of 2014 to injury. So much so that two of his guests on the trip were Bengals rehab chief Nick Cosgray and his wife.

"I'm sure Nick will take a look at it," Eifert said.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.