Week In Review: Presented by TriHealth
It's been a busy week for the Bengals highlighted by the team hiring of six assistants for the team's 2019 coaching staff. The new assistants include Nick Eason (defensive line), Tem Lukabu (linebackers), Brad Kragthorpe (offensive assistant), Jordan Kovacs (defensive quality control), Todd Hunt (assistant strength and conditioning) and Garrett Swanson (assistant strength and conditioning).
Ross Intrigues Callahan
Count Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan firmly in the John Ross Camp. Ross gets that chance when head coach Zac Taylor and Callahan bring a new system built from proven runs with the Rams and Broncos.
Paging Same Page
It was fitting that director of player personnel Duke Tobin went to the podium 30 minutes before Taylor Wednesday, the day the new face of the Bengals management team made its national debut during the NFL scouting combine. Find out the team's thoughts about current Bengals heading into next season.
Simmons At The Combine Through The Years
Darrin Simmons, the Bengals' meticulous special teams coordinator for the past 16 seasons, has busted coverage schemes and chops with equal niftiness. Now that he's 45 with 263 games running the kicking game as opposed to being 29 with exactly no games running the show, he's got a better grip on what he sees and hears during prospect interviews.
Throwback Turner Fits Taylor's Run
Jim Turner, 54, may be the oldest coach on Zac Taylor's staff of millennials, the post-Freezer Bowl generation born when the Bengals had already made a Super Bowl. But deep down, Turner, Taylor's key-piece-in-the-puzzle offensive line coach, is still the Boston College legend of the mid-80s.
Mixon Prepared To Carry On
Even though he rushed for the most yards by a Bengal in a decade and gave the club its first AFC rushing championship ever, that wasn't Joe Mixon's favorite stat from 2018. That would be fumbles. As in none. Zero. Mixon is working this offseason to make sure he's in enough shape to carry the ball 25 times a game.
Other Noteworthy Items
- Photo Galleries of current Bengals at previous combines, Taylor and Tobin with the media at the combine, Nick Vigil's best 2018 moments and Zac Taylor Day.
- A look at how the Bengals' 2018 draft class fared at the combine.
- Feb. 25 was declared Zac Taylor Day in Cincinnati. Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley and Hamilton Commissioner Denise Driehaus officially welcomed coach Zac Taylor.
- Combine Hits: Bengals Douse Ross Reports
- Hobson's Choice: Pointing to a New Dey. In the latest edition, Bengals.com Senior Writer Geoff Hobson answers questions from fans about the defense, free agency and the draft.