Skip to main content

Dillon meets with Brown, coaches


Bengals Pro Bowl running back Corey Dillon told the Bengals this morning he is innocent of any kind of domestic violence stemming from his arrest this past weekend.

After a red-eye flight from Seattle, Dillon met with Bengals President Mike Brown, coach Bruce Coslet, and running backs coach Jim Anderson. He planned to practice today after being excused from Monday's session.

Dillon faces no disciplinary action from the team. But according to the NFL personal conduct policy, he is subject to an immediate mandatory evaluation and could be placed in a counseling program.

"He explained what happened, which is quite a bit different than what is understood publicly," Brown said. "I think that it will be cleared up in time. Meanwhile, he just has to go about his work. We're required to report the incident to the league and they will investigate."

Brown said given the recent spate of violent crimes involving NFL players, he doesn't take the situation lightly.

"But I also don't think it's fair to pre-judge what has happened," Brown said.

Dillon was at his locker this morning after the meeting, but said he's been advised not to talk any more about his arrest last Saturday in Seattle for investigation of fourth-degree assault after his wife called police.

"They listened to me, they understand where I'm coming from and I appreciate that," Dillon said. "I'd love to talk about what really happened, but I'm going to leave it in the hands of the legal system."

The Associated Press reported Monday night that police in Federal Way, Wash., found Dillon with his wife in the driveway of a home during on Saturday and that her lip was bloody. He was booked for investigation of fourth-degree assault after a confrontation that apparently occured in a car.

But in an interview with Monday night, Dillon said he was innocent. He said the dispute centered around their 20-month-old daughter visiting Dillon's mother.

"I don't want to be portrayed as a wife-beater because it's just something I would never do," Dillon said. "It was a situation between us that got blown out of proportion because the police got called and they didn't have to be. I'm going to tell the team I'm innocent about this situation. I'm trying to live a righteous life. All this happened over a silly, stupid thing."


Continued from Frontpage


"My wife was upset and it turned into an argument," Dillon said. "I was not the one throwing the punches. I threw my hands up to protect myself. This was accidental. I never intended to harm her and she knows that. She didn't press charges. I would never do anything like that. I'm not an abuser."

The Bengals, who have a bye this Sunday, had the weekend off following last Friday night's 21-13 loss to Detroit in the preseason finale in which Dillon had 45 yards on six carries. The club said earlier in the day that Dillon was excused from Monday's practice to tend to personal matters.

Running back Mario Bates of the Cardinals and Titans cornerback Denard Walker have each been suspended for a game after similar domestic incidents. But that was only after they went through the court system.

Three weeks ago, Dillon, 24, the team's leading rusher in all three of his seasons, signed a one-year deal for $3 million.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.