Marvin Lewis News Conference
Sept. 15, 2017
Paul Brown Stadium
* *"It's not a spot where we thought we would be, but we are. It's where we are and where we've put ourselves. We have to right our ship, and do it one play and one week at a time. We only get an opportunity to play one game at a time. We have to get better, figure it out and do things better. (It's about) our execution, being consistent with it, and giving us an opportunity to productively move the football down the field and put it in the end zone. That's the overlying message of everything."
Is the lack of execution strictly on the 11 guys that are on the field?
"No, I think it involves everybody. It involves all of us. It's how we formulate our plan, how we execute our plan, and how our plan is called all the way through. We have to make sure we are doing the right things with our people and attacking the opponent."
Are all things on the table regarding personnel changes?
* *"We have to get better, but I'm never going to come in here and tell you what we're going to do one way or another. That's private to us."
What have you seen through 18 games with offensive coordinator Ken Zampese that makes you believe that he can turn this around?
* *"He's worked incredibly hard at this. He has good command of the things we've done. But, we're not getting the results we need to get."
Are you committed to Zampese at this point?
"I just answered your partner's (question about that). Nice try, though (laughs)."
So no changes this weekend?
* *"We're not going to discuss that in here."
After all the turnovers against the Ravens, were you apprehensive to put John Ross back in the game after his fumble?
* *"No, I wasn't. Obviously, we have to protect the football. Having the fumble like he did, with the way the ball bounced into the air, and it probably went to the one guy on the field that has the athleticism to score. He's a young player, and we can't do that. We've got to protect the ball. A guy comes across and makes a good play, and it's a guy we had blocked earlier in the play. Let's keep him blocked, but let's protect the ball at all times. He got the helmet on the ball and the ball went up in the air. That's where we are right now. We aren't making any breaks – and we're sure not getting many to bounce our way."
Are you going to give the players the next few days off? Will their schedule be different?
* *"We worked today. They'll work Monday. They have Saturday and Sunday to recharge their minds and their bodies. We've got to tighten our resolve and get better."
There is obvious frustration in the locker room...
"They ought to be frustrated. We don't want to lose. We don't do this to lose. When you don't get the results you want, it hurts. They have to turn that around and make sure I'm the one that's doing my part all the time. They care a lot. They put a lot into it, and it hurts when you don't get the results you want."
At the end of the game, A.J. Green said he wished he could have been involved more often down the stretch. Did Houston's coverage in the secondary dictate that?
* *"Coverage dictated that in the fourth quarter, just about every time. There was one where he lost the ball in the lights where he had an opportunity."
What did you see from the offensive line?
* *"I thought there was some progress. Guys did some better things, but we've still got to be more consistent. I said that after the first week, and we made some positive steps. We still need to do better and be more consistent, and make sure we are all on the same page all the time. There's going to be a lot of things thrown at them. There was a lot thrown at them last night, and that's going to continue."