Marvin Lewis News Conference
Paul Brown Stadium
November 6, 2015
* "*First and foremost, in the first half of the game, the difference was that defensively,0 we didn't get off the field on third downs. There were four long drives in the game in the first half, and they ate up the clock. In the second half, the difference was winning on third down and getting off the field. There wasn't a turnover in the ballgame, so winning that was able to get field positon back. All in all it was a good football game; a good way to finish the game the way we played in the second half. We still obviously have a lot of areas of concern to work on offense, defense, and special teams. We'll keep coaching hard."
Fifth game this season you've scored on the first drive. How big of a ripple effect does that cause?
* "*I do think its great to play with the lead. We've done that for a lot of the season. You play with a lead and long fields, which is good. It makes the job easier for play callers to understand. We're able to get the attention of the guys defensively on the sideline, and what situation is coming and how it could unfold. The offense also keeps the hammer down when we have the lead, which is good."
Are you pleased with the way the defense adjusted in the second half?
* "*It's something that is critical for us to win the game. If we want to win the football game, this is what has to get done. Point blank. I thought our guys did a good job of that."
What has made this group fix certain weaknesses from week to week?
"I hope this group has special abilities and qualities. I think they're smart enough to understand that it should be reinforced. They get it. We're talking about these things that are critical to winning and losing. They want to win. If we can do these things, then we make winning a higher probability."
How much spark does Vontaze Burfict bring?
* "*I think he brings a lot of spark to it. There's a bit of a rotation now also. Guys aren't getting as extended. We have guys coming in and out, and that's good. (Emmanuel) Lamur is spotting playing, and Vontaze is taking more reps, so it helps with our depth."
How did Eric Winston do?
* *"We thought he did a good job. Paul (Alexander) was pleased. We feel fortunate to have a great veteran player like that to plug in into a situation. He's logged a lot of starts under his belt and started a lot of games for us last year too. We're blessed to have Eric here."
Are you pleased with the patience vs. a Cleveland defense that tried to prevent anything over the top?
"I thought Andy (Dalton) played a very good football game. Our ability to get some of the catch and runs we had were really good. That's part of playing; that you can have those things develop. Then we have the opportunity to throw and catch, then run after the catch, and make plays that way. You have to be well balanced in doing all those things. We know we can hit the vertical plays when they present themselves, but there's going to be times where you have to do a better job underneath, and we did a good job of that yesterday."
Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are playing well against the run, too … .
* *"It was a good job yesterday by those guys. When we settled down and played better in the second half and were around the quarterback more. We're going to continue to need that kind of output from our good players all the time."
Thoughts on the first half of the season?
* *"Eight is not enough. (Laughs.) Like Tyler (Eifert) said, 'We've done what we can with what's been handed to us.' We have lot of work still to do. Nothing has been decided. We have a chance to get ourselves refreshed a little bit now. We had two tough division games, and now we have Houston coming here Monday night, which we know will be a very tough, physical game. They'll be coming off their bye ready to go."
How do you think Tyler Eifert is doing when blocking?
"From the first day of his rookie year, I knew he was going to be a very very good professional line of scrimmage blocker. He's continued to do that and grow from that, and that's been the exciting part. We knew he could do all the things in the passing game, but the fact that he's a big man that does a great job on the line of scrimmage is good."
The counter plays are another tool in the arsenal?
"Yes. He gotten a lot of work at that. That was his primary job there during his rookie year and all of camp the year after, so he's been in that situation a lot."
Comments on the Vontaze situation with the collision with the Bengals' camera operator?
"Vontaze was asked to reach out to Jim (Strickler, the camera operator). Jim has been spoken to this morning (by Bengals front office), and he was saying: 'Oh, he (Burfict) doesn't have to do that, I understand those things happen.' But Vontaze is waiting for him to be finished with his shift. I guess he's a hard working person and did an early shift today at his other job (at Channel 5) as well. Vontaze was asked to reach out and say he's glad Jim wasn't injured any more severely."