Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase was named 2021 Offensive Rookie of the Year by the Professional Football Writers of America (PFWA). Chase is the first Cincinnati player to be selected Offensive Rookie of the Year by the PFWA.
Kicker Evan McPherson was also honored by the PFWA earning an All-Rookie special teams selection.
Chase, the fifth overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, finished the season with 81 catches for 1,455 yards and 13 touchdowns.
The production during Chase's rookie season was record-breaking on numerous levels.
- Chase's 13 receiving TDs were the most-ever by a Bengals rookie. The previous high was nine, by WR Isaac Curtis in 1973.
- Chase had 81 receptions, the most-ever by a Bengals rookie. The previous high was 67, by Cris Collinsworth in 1981 and Tee Higgins in 2020.
- Chase had 1455 receiving yards, the most-ever by a Bengals rookie. The previous high was 1057, by A.J. Green in 2011.
- Chase had five 100-yard receiving games, the most-ever by a Bengals rookie. The previous high was four, by Green in 2011.
Chase also finished in the NFL's top 10 in these categories.
- Third in receiving TDs (13).
- Fourth in receiving yards (1455).
- Fourth in receptions of 40 or more yards (eight).
- Tied for fourth in receptions of 20 or more yards (22).
- Ninth in yards from scrimmage (1476).
- Tied for ninth in scoring — non-kickers (78).
He was a two-time AFC Offensive Player of the Week in Weeks 7 and 17, and he was the NFL's Offensive Rookie of the Month for September. Chase was voted to the PFWA All-AFC team.
McPherson, a fifth-round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, converted 28 of his 33 field goals and 46 of his 48 PATs during the season. In the playoffs, McPherson has elevated his game going a perfect 8-for-8 on field goals and 3-for-3 on PATs in the two playoff wins. That included the 52-yard game-winner to eliminate the top-seeded Tennessee Titans.