The Cincinnati Bengals today announced the hiring of two assistant coaches — assistant wide receivers coach Troy Walters and assistant special teams coach Colt Anderson. It is expected that the two hires finalize the team's 2020 coaching staff.
Walters, 43, comes to Cincinnati after spending the last two seasons (2018-19) as the offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at the University of Nebraska. Prior to his time at Nebraska, he was offensive coordinator at the University of Central Florida from 2016-17, and helped the Knights to a 13-0 record in '17. Previously, he served on the offensive staffs at the University of Colorado (2013-15), North Carolina State University ('12), Texas A&M University ('10-11) and Indiana State University ('09). Prior to coaching, Walters was an NFL wide receiver and return specialist for the Detroit Lions (2007), Arizona Cardinals ('06), Indianapolis Colts ('02-05) and Minnesota Vikings ('00-01). He played collegiately at Stanford University, where he won the Fred Biletnikoff Award as a senior in 1999, and also set school career records for receptions (244), receiving yards (3986) and 100-yard receiving games (19).
Anderson, 34, was a safety and standout special teams player in the NFL for nearly a decade, and played in the league most recently in 2017. Originally a college free agent signee of Minnesota in 2009, he spent time on the Vikings' practice squad before joining the Philadelphia Eagles' active roster in '10. He played with the Eagles through the '13 season, and later went on to spend time with the Indianapolis Colts ('14-15) and Buffalo Bills ('16-17). Anderson played in 84 career NFL games (seven starts), and recorded 109 tackles, one INT and two FFs on defense, along with 58 tackles on special teams.
"We are excited to add Troy and Colt to the staff," said Bengals head coach Zac Taylor. "Both guys are excellent additions to our receiver and special teams units, and they will be able to use the traits that made them great players in this league to help our players now."
Here is the Bengals' 2020 coaching staff:
- Zac Taylor
- Lou Anarumo (defensive coordinator)
- Colt Anderson (assistant special teams)
- Bob Bicknell (wide receivers)
- Joey Boese (strength and conditioning)
- Brian Callahan (offensive coordinator)
- James Casey (tight ends)
- Gerald Chatman (defensive assistant)
- Mark Duffner (senior defensive assistant)
- Nick Eason (defensive line)
- Al Golden (linebackers)
- Todd Hunt (assistant strength and conditioning)
- Steve Jackson (secondary/cornerbacks)
- Jordan Kovacs (defensive quality control)
- Brad Kragthorpe (offensive assistant)
- Robert Livingston (secondary/safeties)
- Ben Martin (assistant offensive line)
- Dan Pitcher (quarterbacks)
- Darrin Simmons (assistant head coach/special teams coordinator)
- Jemal Singleton (running backs)
- Garrett Swanson (assistant strength and conditioning)
- Jim Turner (offensive line)
- Troy Walters (assistant wide receivers)
- Doug Rosfeld (director of coaching operations)