It was Week 5 of the 2018 season and on a sun drenched day in Paul Brown Stadium, Carlos Dunlap and Sam Hubbard stormed the Dolphins with a sack, forced fumble and touchdown to cap a Cincinnati 27-17 victory.
That win helped the Bengals improve to 4-1 and sit atop the AFC North. Since the two teams' last meeting, both teams have seen their fortunes reversed. The Bengals finished that year 6-10, while the Dolphins ended the campaign 7-9. That prompted both franchises to hire new head coaches in the offseason with Zac Taylor to the Bengals and Brian Flores with the Dolphins.
Fast forward to 2019 where Sunday's game is more about the future than the present. The Bengals sit at 1-13, while Miami enters the game 3-11. Both Taylor and Flores are looking at this Week 16 game as an opportunity to generate momentum heading into next season. But first, some of the numerical nuances as the Bengals zip down to South Florida.
- 69 – Career wins for Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.
- 18 – December wins by Dalton.
- 53 – Career wins for Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.
- 18 – December wins by Fitzpatrick, three of those coming with the Bengals in 2008.
- 11 – Consecutive games Dalton has thrown a touchdown pass against AFC East opponents.
- 7 – Different teams Fitzpatrick has started for which is an NFL record.
- 219 – Rushing yards by Fitzpatrick, the Dolphins' leading rusher.
- .696 – Series winning percentage by the Dolphins, the second-best against the Bengals.
- 0-10 – Bengals' record when trailing at halftime.
- 37.5 – Red zone scoring percentage, ranks 31st in the NFL.
- 75 – Miami's red zone scoring percentage at home, second-best in the NFL.
- .235 – Cincinnati's points per play, 32nd in the NFL.
- .78 – Miami's points per play, 31st in the NFL.
- 753 – Receiving yards for Dolphins wide out DeVante Parker since Week 6, the ninth-most in the NFL.
- 75 – Yards running back Joe Mixon is away from 1,000 and 5th player in franchise history to record back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons.
- 605 – Rushing yards for Mixon since Week 10, second-most in the NFL.
- 3 – Seasons where the Bengals were held winless on the road.
- 5 – Sacks for Dunlap in the previous four games.
- 3 – Consecutive games for Hubbard recording at least one sack.
- 12 – Career sacks for Hubbard, good for the third-most in the 2018 draft class.